Griffiths III (a revalidated version of Griffiths Developmental Mental Scales) provides an overall measure of a child’s development, as well as an individual profile of strengths and needs across five areas:
- Foundations of Learning – assesses critical aspects of learning during the early childhood years.
- Language and Communication – measures overall language development, including expressive language, receptive language, and (to a lesser extent) use of language to communicate socially with others.
- Eye and Hand Coordination – considers fine motor skills, manual dexterity and visual perception skills.
- Personal–Social–Emotional – measures constructs relating to the child’s developing sense of self and growing independence, interactions with others, plus many aspects of emotional development.
- Gross Motor – assesses postural control, balance and gross body coordination.
This is a standardised assessment administered by Dr Bennett, a trained paediatrician, interacting directly with your child. The Griffiths III is not a cognitive assessment or assessment of intelligence. The test items have not been developed to measure advanced development (greater than age-appropriate skills).
Generally, assessments are conducted over a one-hour session. The assessment takes longer for older children. Dr Bennett offers Griffiths III assessments to children between the ages of 0 – 3.5 years of age. If a professional provides a referral suggesting that your child is more than 12 months delayed, Dr Bennett will consider testing children older then 3.5 years of age.
Following the face to face assessment, Dr Bennett will analyse the results, compare your child’s achievements to modern developmental norms and prepare a report describing your child’s developmental strengths and challenges. The report will then be provided to you during a feedback session with recommendations briefly explained. The feedback session is usually scheduled for approximately two weeks after the assessment. This appointment enables you to clarify the meaning of results and ask any questions related to the assessment or report. The report will be forwarded to your referrer, who you are encouraged to discuss the results with further.
Please use the form below to Dr Bennett’s clinic with any enquires about Griffiths III Assessments.